What is Lost Lake
Lost lake is one of our favorite hikes in the Buena Vista area. Off of Cottonwood Pass in the quaint mountain town of Buena Vista, Lost Lake is an epic 2.5 mile out and back hike.
Boasting great 360 degree views of open fields and mountains, and a hidden gem of an alpine lake at the end. Be sure you add this to your summer bucket list!
Where is Lost Lake?
Lost Lake is a lesser known spot off of Cottonwood Pass, that sends you through some forested areas and meadows, that eventually lead to an alpine lake.
This Trail starts at about 11,200 feet right before the top of cottonwood pass. The trailhead starts at the LAST pull-off before you reach the top of the pass, so if you reach the top, you've gone too far. The hike isn't a super difficult one, but you will go through numerous streams and flooded meadows (depending on the time of year). The view from the top looks straight down the valley and from the top of the lake you can see Pikes Peak in the distance on a clear day.
Tips & Tricks!
Here are some of our tips and tricks for getting the best experience:
- Bring snacks for a picnic!
- Bring a camera (you'll be mad at yourself if you don't!)
- Bring water (of course)
- Bring a change of shoes or wear Chacos as some of the trail is very muddy and flooded in the summer months!
As always, we implore you to explore responsibly! Be sure to apply these Leave No Trace Principles:
- Plan ahead and prepare.
- Travel and camp on durable surfaces.
- Dispose of waste properly.
- Leave what you find.
- Minimize campfire impacts (be careful with fire).
- Respect wildlife.
- Be considerate of other visitors.